What should I do If I want to contest my traffic ticket?

If you do not want to plead guilty to a traffic ticket, and you wish to contest it, you must request a trial. Trials will not be held at your first court appearance. For a must appear charge (a ticket which requires you to come to court), simply inform the Assistant States Attorney that you wish to plead not guilty and you will be given a trial date. For all other tickets (tickets which do not require a court appearance), the back of your ticket explains the process for setting your case for a trial.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need to hire an attorney to represent me on my traffic charge?
2. How can I get my bond back?
3. I cannot make my upcoming court date. Can I change it?
4. I cannot pay my fine. How can I get an extension?
5. I missed my court date. What will happen now?
6. I received an operating uninsured motor vehicle ticket and I had insurance. What should I do?
7. I received notice that I owe a fine, even though I have not been to court. What can I do?
8. I was in an accident with another vehicle which was uninsured. Will I be able to get money from Traffic Court?
9. Is there any way I can keep a traffic ticket off my record?
10. My ticket says $75 and it also says I must come to court. Is my fine $75?
11. What is the difference between a bench trial and a jury trial?
12. What is the difference between a ticket marked must appear and a ticket marked may appear?
13. What should I do If I want to contest my traffic ticket?