The Peoria County Highway Department utilizes seal coating and tilling to maintain Peoria County Highways.
Current Seal Coating Schedule
Listed below is the current schedule for seal coating. The schedule can be affected by weather and is subject to change.
July 10 - July 16
- Canton Glasford Road - Between Kingston Mines Rd and Hanna City Glasford
- Cowser Road - Between Hanna City Glasford and Harkers Corner
- Lancaster Road - Between Cameron Lane and Harkers Corner
July 17 - July 23
- Cameron Lane - Between IL 116 and IL 24
- Smithville Road - Between Airport Road and Hilton Lane
July 24 - July 30
- Taylor Road - Between IL Rt. 8 and IL 116
- Charter Oak Road - Between Big Hollow Road and Koerner Road
- Koerner Road - Between Charter Oak Road and IL Rt. 150
- Norwood Road - Between Norwood Blvd and Farmington Road
Motorists can expect fresh oil and loose gravel and are advised to seek an alternate route if possible. Motorists are urged to slow down while traveling through construction zones and should expect slower traffic patterns throughout these areas while sealcoating operations are underway.
Questions can be directed to the Peoria County Highway Department at (309) 697-6400.
Tilling is a process of grinding and mixing the existing road surface and base. Additional gravel is then added to the existing material and all the materials are compacted and graded. The process takes several days and traffic is also used to help compact the gravel. Once the gravel is compacted, the road is graded one more time, and seal coating of the road occurs.