Infection Control and Prevention of COVID-19 in Dialysis Patients at Heddington Oaks
Our in-patient dialysis partners, Dialyze Direct, have established new protocols within our facility to help limit the transmission of COVID-19 to patients, staff, and visitors. Effective immediately, Dialyze Direct and Heddington Oaks are implementing new protocols for dialysis patients and staff.
Specifically, all Dialyze Direct service sites will screen patients, staff, and visitors (beforeentering a treatment area) for the following:
- Signs or symptoms of a respiratory infection, such as a fever, cough, shortness ofbreath, or sore throat
- Contact with someone with or under investigation for COVID-19
- International travel within the last 14 days to countries with widespread or ongoingcommunity spread.
Additionally, any visitors will also be screened to determine if they reside in a communitywhere community-based spread of COVID-19 is occurring.
Any staff member who develops signs and symptoms of a respiratory infection will:
- Immediately stop work (if working), put on a facemask, and self-isolate at home
- Inform our regional leadership, and collect information on individuals, equipment, andlocations the person came in contact with
- Contact and follow the local health department recommendations for next steps (e.g.testing, locations for treatment)
In the event a patient shows any sign or symptom of a respiratory infection, or is anaffirmative on any of the screening mechanisms listed above, Dialyze Direct will place a facemaskon the patient, restrict the patient from entering the treatment area, and contact the nursing facilityleadership for further instruction.
COVID-19 is particularly aggressive in individuals who are elderly, and those with chronicconditions such as end-stage renal disease. It is imperative for both Dialyze Direct, and our nursingpartners, to maintain safe environments where patients can continue to receive care. Both partiesmust be vigilant in screening for COVID-19,and staying up to date on the latest information andguidance available.
Thank you for your cooperation and partnership in tackling this issue together.
In partnership with Dialyze Direct, we are proud to offer in-patient dialysis services at our center. The program is overseen by a board-certified nephrologist. Our program is offered 5 days a week in a specially designed dialysis treatment room. Watch the video above to learn more about what sets Dialyze Direct apart from traditional, 3-day per week treatments.
Our Program Includes:
- Hemodialysis services in a quiet, comfortable, home-like environment
- Services provided by highly trained, experienced and professional staff
- State of the art equipment
- Personal dialysis care technicians who are familiar with each individual’s needs
- Symptom management and pain control
- Social service support to ease the transition to our program and home
- A specialized diet formulated by a registered dietitian
- Individual treatment planning by our interdisciplinary team
- Ease of access for patient and family
- Education regarding disease management and coping mechanisms
- Fewer dialysis-related complications and hospitalizations
Have questions on if our on-site dialysis is the right fit for you?
Please call our admissions team at (309) 636-3600. We'll talk with you about your situation and walk through our on-site dialysis checklist.