Heddington Oaks is owned and operated by the County of Peoria, IL. We have been in the healthcare business for 170 years!
There is a rich history leading up to our current Heddington Oaks facility. Here's a brief timeline of our long-term care predecessors:
- January 1848: Peoria County Commissioners purchased 80 acres with buildings at 7023 W. Plank Road for $1,000. This property was known as the County Farm and is now the Naval Reserve Training Center.
- Summer 1851: the Board of Supervisors purchased another 160 acres adjoining the County Farm for $9,000. With 240 acres, there was ample land to grow and raise enough farm and stock products to support the patients at the home.
- March 1886: the main building was consumed by a fire that left only the walls standing. A committee was appointed to attend to all matters pertaining to the rebuilding of the home. By December of the same year, the new building had been completed.
The last extensive improvement to the old facility was a hospital for the sick and infirm. This independent hospital, owned and operated by the County, accommodated approximately 60 patients.
- 1948: the facility became the Peoria County Nursing Home and was licensed by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
- 1966: a referendum was passed that allowed Peoria County to build a new County nursing home. The referendum provided $3,200,000 to build a new facility with 300 beds, some featuring hospital amenities to aid in the care of bedridden patients. At the time of this successful referendum, the home was full to capacity with a waiting list nearly as long.
- April 15, 1967: groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the $3 million facility of Bel-Wood, which was constructed just east of the old home on Plank Road.
Heddington Oaks, the county's current long-term care nursing facility, celebrated its fifth birthday in October of 2018.
- 2003: Peoria County voters overwhelmingly approved a referendum to levy a tax specifically to build a new long-term care facility.
- 2013: Heddington Oaks opens its doors to the community.